The Norfolk & Western Railway Freight Station in Roanoke, Virginia, played a significant role in the industrial development of the city for nearly 100 years. Freight rail service to Roanoke (then known as Big Lick) commenced in 1852. In 1882, Roanoke became the most important junction point as well as corporate headquarters for the newly formed Norfolk & Western Railway, which became a major carrier of coal from mines in West Virginia and Virginia. Beginning in 1916, and completed in 1918, the Norfolk & Western Railway Freight Station was built to accommodate an ever-increasing amount of freight traffic the older depots were not designed for. The new two-story, fifty-bay-long Freight Station was built parallel to the railroad tracks. Today the Norfolk & Western Railway Freight Station serves as the Virginia Museum of Transportation.
Read the full file on the Norfolk & Western Railway Freight Station
To see more photographs of National Register properties go
to our photostream on Flickr.
See our Weekly List (with previous highlights)