This expression of
Classical Revivalism is the successor to the original church of St. Thomas's
Parish, demolished after the disestablishment. Erected 1833-34, the church
originally lacked its Tuscan portico in antis. This feature was
probably added in 1853 when the church was remodeled and enlarged. The
alteration of the windows into pointed Gothic windows was made between
1890 and 1895. The builders of the church have not been documented, but
they may have been William B. Phillips and Malcolm B. Crawford who worked
for Jefferson at the University of Virginia and
later built finely crafted Classical Revival works in the central Piedmont.
During the Civil War, Robert E. Lee and other Confederates worshipped
here in the winter of 1863-64. St. Thomas's also served as a Confederate
hospital after the battles of Cedar Mountain, Chancellorsville, the Wilderness,
and Spotsylvania Court House. St. Thomas's is noted for its stained glass
windows, including one by Tiffany.
Entrance to St. Thomas Church
Photograph courtesy of Scenic America: Deborah L. Myerson
The St.Thomas Church is located at 119 Caroline St., in Orange.
Open by appointment. For further information visit the website,
call 540-672-3761 or email firstname.lastname@example.org